Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tuesday Reality Check

At this point, we've done quite a few posts on items covered with crosses and I want to talk a little more about that. I'm not anti-Christian and I'm not totally against people wearing crosses. I've used them in designs of my own, though those look nothing like the items I've showcased on here. What's the problem with the ones I've picked on here? They're tacky. There's nothing wrong with a cross, but when you make it out of hundreds of rhinestones, studs, and oddball fabrics or put it on an item with dozens of other crosses, it loses any meaning it had and is just another tired design object. If you want to wear crosses because you're Christian, knock yourself out. Just remember, as found in the beatitudes: Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth. There is nothing meek about wearing 500 crystal crosses on your belt, nothing at all. And don't even get me started on putting crosses all over the tack your horse wears, like some kind of Christian rabbit foot. Jesus is not here to help your horse run faster, it doesn't work like that.

Moving on.

Here's a western shirt by Scully that has a relatively tasteful cross. It's not lost in swirls and scrolls and is pretty. All around it's a nice shirt, just like we expect from Scully.

No comments:

Post a Comment